Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You Gotta Want It

My last post was basically me rushing before I boarded a plane for Florida.  Also known as Flo RIDAAAAA.  Naturally, I want to talk about what all happened on my trip.  So, I will.
I am THAT girl on every trip I take.  You know, the one who ALWAYS has her camera out.  I even took some pictures of the food I was eating (I will spare you those).  The above was taken at the airport before we left and if you look REALLLY close, you can see the plane behind us.  Like I said, you have to look REALLLLY close. 

Anyway. 

On Monday we went to give some kids the world.  But really.  We went to the Give Kids the World Village in Kissimmee, Florida.  Or, as I like to call it, Kissme Flo Ridaaaa.  We were all a little unsure of what to expect of this place but one thing was certain, it was going to be awesome.  Awesome is pretty much the understatement of the century.



Ice cream is served ALL DAY LONG.




The families stay in castle-like houses, with great scenery and rocking chairs on every patio.



This tree SNORES. 


THERE IS A LIFE-SIZED CANDY LAND GAME!!!!

Can you tell my excitement?  Needless to say, this place was every child's dream come true.

BUT.  Not really.  The reason families are able to come to this place is because their child has a life-threatening illness.  No one would want that for their child.  The one thing that stuck out in my mind throughout the week was that they wished they could close their doors.  They wish that there wasn't a need for a place like this, but there is.  It really made me realize that all of my problems are so insignificant compared to that.  For the last few weeks I was worried about graduating and finding a job while these precious little kids were worried about doctors appointments and being sick.  This was the reality check I definitely needed. 

The next morning (Tuesday) we woke up REALLY early to travel to Cocoa Beach to watch the sunrise.  I don't know what it is, but there is something so relaxing about watching the sunrise over the ocean. 






Magnificent.

That night we went back to GKTW to be a part of their Pool Party and Mardi Gras parade.  I was able to dress up as the Mardi Gras Queen and ride on the back of a golf cart.  Seeing the kids playing and having a great time > The outfit.  While the outfit wasn't flattering at all (long sleeves and Florida don't mix) I still had a great time.  The kids were so playful and happy.  One little girl, tugged on my dress and gave me the beads she had been given.  It was so perfect.  I kept them. 
Every night, the village has a small ceremony in which everyone congregates in the Castle and puts it to sleep.


This is the grandfather clock that awakens briefly, to be put back to sleep.  It was really a great moment.  The part that made it so amazing was seeing the parents crying because their child was getting to act like a kid.  Of course, I cried with them.  It was a heartwarming moment.  Can you blame me?

The rest of the trip was incredible and I came home wanting to get right back on a plane to go back.  This Spring Break even more solidified what it is I want to do when I graduate (work at a nonprofit). 

No comments:

Post a Comment